mellophones

i have begun playin the mellophone a year ago and im doin good to be a beginner. i play on a king and a 3c mouthpiece but i cant seem to play notes over the D above the ovtave and i would like some advice

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• YOU ARE FINE THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO PRACTICAL USE TO NOTES ABOVE D.

Work on your tone and pick up a real french horn. It's a much greater challenge.
  • if u want a lil mo range get on a bach 3c but make sure you do plenty of long tones to get use to the cup. i disagree i think u can use notes over d in some situations, jus depends on the arrangment of the song ur playing. oh and lots of lip slurs (on trumpet if you have access to one.)
  • i played on a 3c and thats bout the best u can play on... i started off on a 7c but moved to the 3. Try a stork 3c and practice your low tones. It will take a lil getting used to on the Stork but i promise you will love your new fullness on notes even the high ones...not thinning out like most people...breath from your stomach...hold your horn the correct way not lazy and cocked like most ...and stand up straight..just a lil advice
  • the bach 3c is nice too either one would be great i just like the pure sound u get from stork
  • you need to get of that 3c and and get a 5c and if you cant hit over a d on a 3c then play around with that 5c then go back and watch you ups then
  • when i was in high school we called people who played on 3cs cheats but i seen some people do i am to strong for a 3c that why i perfer a 5c a deeper cup and more sound and control
  • actually, you should by a mouthpiece that fits YOUR lips, everybody doesnt have the same size lips, thats why they make 5C, 3C, 7C, etc. the bigger your lips, the lower the number before the cup size should be. And really you dont need to play much higher the D above the staff, a good arranger should write so that players can comfortably play the arrangement. but if you want to play higher, get a mouthpiece that fits your lips then do long tones and lip slurs; take your time, dont rush them and also dont move the mouthpiece from your lips until you play the last note.
  • Actually the LETTER refers to cup depth. Numbers are rim diameters/types.

So believe it or not 7cs 5cs and 3cs all have just about the same depth.

Reem_MADMELLO SR said:
    when i was in high school we called people who played on 3cs cheats but i seen some people do i am to strong for a 3c that why i perfer a 5c a deeper cup and more sound and control
  • lol look man i dont think u understand how the bach naming system works. the smaller the number= bigger rim, the larger the number the smaller the rim. the letter represents the cup depth. A is the deepest, B is in the middle, and C is the shallowest even though it is still deeper than most other moutpiece cups. so a bach 5c has the same depth as a 3c. so in reality it is actually harder to play on a 3c because the rim is larger.

Reem_MADMELLO SR said:
    when i was in high school we called people who played on 3cs cheats but i seen some people do i am to strong for a 3c that why i perfer a 5c a deeper cup and more sound and control
  • is a 1c or 11/2c any good
This reply was deleted.