Replies

• I guess great minds think alike because this is along the same lines of the concept I came up with years ago (and personally speaking if a marching band magazine can be financed and marketed correctly...I say, "Brilliant idea...go for it!!!")...

"An Interesting Concept"

Good day my fellow bandheads/future music leaders of the world. I found myself pondering this thought and felt it to be wise to share with you. Through viewing certain threads & reading millions of comments on this particular site alone, I immediately came to realize that I was being surrounded by an infinite amount of passion dedicated to an art that has been openly embraced all over the globe. Many of you here on Marchingsport, I've noticed, have gone above and beyond in portraying, upholding and representing the overall beauty in what is the 'black marching band.' I've been made aware of countless debates, arguments, photographs, personal stories and even complete and unedited history lessons that have even taught me things that I didn't know about my own musical culture. Well, I personally feel that each and every single member on this site contributes to this art and the interestingly unique history that it has acquired. My point in saying all of this is to let it be known that I, also, feel as though this historical tradition should be shared for all the world to be made aware of. Now, I know that there are great supporters of the tapes and DVD's that portray this particular culture and that's wonderful! But deep down, to me, that's not enough. What I was thinking was...well...wouldn't it be interesting if there was a central source that collected all the film footage, all the information, all the history and personal stories and ultimately used all of it collectively to publish an annual volume. Meaning a book! Kind of like a black marching band 'almanac' or something. You see, I'm from New Orleans (born and raised). However, I currently reside in Huntington, West Virginia and attend Marshall University. I am a graphic design/marketing major and the way I see it, with the right promotional backing and supporters this idea can grow to be a huge universal success. Think of it like an encylopedia that categorized from A to Z the entire history of every black university, high school and even middle school music program yearly. Think of it also like a 'who's who' of our marching bands that can even display names and photos of our present-day band members in a yearbook-style kind of way. Thusly allowing all, in the world, whom are interested to have a concrete/physical awareness of the cultures and sub-cultures that all take part in what makes up the greatest African-Amercan musical movement that has ever existed. And by doing a yearly book series it , moreover, adds a sense of class visually in representing everyone that deserves credit for the part that they play in upholding this tradition. Quite frankly (no disrespect intended but...) I'm kind of tired of having the movie "Drumline" set the standard for our marching bands. Don't get me wrong it is a really decent portrayal, but not 100% accurate to me. With my idea we can be as raw as we need to be. I can almost see it being sold in bookstores and even online. The proceeds from sales can go to eligible music programs even charities of choice (like starting this positve domino effect for the cause). But like I said in the title this was just an interesting concept that I wanted to share with you only for you to express what you think of it, if need be. Thank you for taking the time in reading this. You are greatly appreciated.
    -The Casanova Kid
  • i think its cool to follow ur dream i hope u allow my art to be a part of ur dream holla at me
  • I THINK IT IS MAD COOL YOU KNOW I LOVE BAND AND I AM A BAND HEAD AND INSTEAD OF GOING ONLINE TO FIND STUFF IT COULD BE A MAGAZINE SO I SAY GO FOR IT
  • At one point or another I'd thought about a Marchingsport Magazine (nice ring to it eh). I might try to get at least one out before its all said and done.
  • fantastic idea!!!!!, monthly updates, set dates for parades, competitons etc... i say go for it!!!!!
  • I think it is a great idea.
  • They Exist with HBCU's and Non HBCU's yet they are not wide spread. infact none may currently be in production.
    the soul purpose is to promote the positive things about band.

We have lots going on in this Band world and yet We are really our only sources of Info. CBS, CNN, ESPN and other media are not really out there to support what we have going on.
  • I say go for it. Put a sista on the staff.
  • ... Frat, go for it! .... the magazine would be part of " the missing link" in OUR band culture... can a brother be on the staff?
  • that would be actually beneficial to the HBCU's as well as the high schools.....you could get sponsorships/ads for the bands....promote BOTBs...this way, they are gettin exposure and also recruiting (if done the right way)....you could have interviews with the directors at different colleges/high schools, and let them tell their story....start off small first and watch it grow......promote them at the big games/classics.....you could have a section for every conference and highlight a high school from each state if possible......it could be a reflection of the Marchingsport news column......i think it would work, if done right from square one....
This reply was deleted.