High School trying to convert

my high school band wants to add the show style technique to its already corps style program. Band director refuses so the members are forming a petition. What are some of the pros and cons of trying to have both styles of marching in one marching band program?

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• more people will lean towards showstyle marching band and will forget about style tone and technique great bands don't happen overnight its possible but it will be a little difficult to adjust IMO showstyle and corps style are 2 very different styles of marching band I say go for it but don't expect instant results lol like doing 10 pushups and looking in the mirror expecting to see a change
  • well with show style your band has to be able to have that strong energy in everything you do in your show... plus the changing style of your marching isn't that easy for certain people... not everyone can keep in step and rhythm. Yo do your thing all i can say is to persuade your Director your band has to put alot of effort into it
  • My band does both and it has it pros and cons. Of course, Corps Style marching makes for a better tone and overall sound because you are not picking up your legs as high. It is far less intense and allows students to focus more on musicality not just who is most hype.

Showstyle gets your crowd going and keep kids involved. I recommend that you try not to go against the director but just try to make a deal with him. If he is smart, he will negotiate.
  • I AGREE WITH EVERYONES COMMENT. I WOULD LIKE TO ADD THIS. THERE CAN BE A COMBINATION OF BOTH.ex A CORP STYLE FIELD SHOW WITH SHOWSTYLE DANCE ROUTINE. OR SHOWSTYLE MUSIC AND PERFORMANCES AT BATTLES OR IN THE STANDS. BOTH STYLES ARE BENEFICIAL. IF YOU DONT INTEND ON GOING TO A SWAC,MEAC,CIAA,OR SIAC COLLEGE, THEN CORP STYLE WOULD BE COOL....I EARNED FULL MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP TO UNIVERSITY OF MI(BIG10) INSTEAD I WANTED TO MARCH WITH HAMPTON.MY HIGHSCHOOL WAS SWAC ORIENTED BUT MY MUSICALITY WAS CORP STYLE...
  • There should be no difference in intensity unless the music requires it. I know you wouldnt play Order my steps with the same intensity as 400 Degrees same for Imperial March and Danny Boy.

As far as tone, as a musician there should be no difference in the tone when your high stepping or roll stepping. My band does both styles and in the middle of our show, we switch styles then switch back; the quality of the sound doesnt change.

Any style can keep the crowd excited as long you execute it correctly.

Don't go against your director because he has a reason for not allowing yall to switch between styles. You can want to add something, but if it will take away from the show or the band, you shouldnt do it.
  • It could work. I agree with everyone. But if you are dealing with one of those brainwashed cats then forget it. On the other hand by and large the showstyle programs are getting better every year in Houston. Ask your director to do some major local parades (ie. Rodeo, Thanksgiving) where your members can actually see the pros and cons (cause they will be there!) Its amazing how the parade scene here has changed over the years because it has basically been taken over by showbands. There was a time when If you were not Spring, Westfield, Ike, Waltrip, Sollopadnab, Scarborough (in that order circa '94 5 ish) and you were corpstyle you could hang it up. They would come to parades looking like straight trash and sounding like garbage...used to laguh at them...The last four of those aformentioned schools used to be in parades all the time. Be careful though! There is one program presently that is on the ropes because the admin and district are vehemently opposed to showstyle to the point that they might not have bands in a few years....
  • Who the hell is Sollopadnab?? lol

oldwise2 said:
    It could work. I agree with everyone. But if you are dealing with one of those brainwashed cats then forget it. On the other hand by and large the showstyle programs are getting better every year in Houston. Ask your director to do some major local parades (ie. Rodeo, Thanksgiving) where your members can actually see the pros and cons (cause they will be there!) Its amazing how the parade scene here has changed over the years because it has basically been taken over by showbands. There was a time when If you were not Spring, Westfield, Ike, Waltrip, Sollopadnab, Scarborough (in that order circa '94 5 ish) and you were corpstyle you could hang it up. They would come to parades looking like straight trash and sounding like garbage...used to laguh at them...The last four of those aformentioned schools used to be in parades all the time. Be careful though! There is one program presently that is on the ropes because the admin and district are vehemently opposed to showstyle to the point that they might not have bands in a few years....
    my high school band wants to add the show style technique to its already corps style program. Band director refuses so the members are forming a peti…
  • They prolly don't call themselves that no more, but I thought you knew who they were.....Sharpstown.....Named after Westbury's program started to lean to showstyle back in the 90's. It was said that since Sharpstown band did not want to do showstyle whatsoever they were backwards. Hence Apollos"s Band became Sollopadnab. You would have had to be a member to know...there were a bunch of Westbury kids there with us... You know there are some schools that would have better bands if they were showstyle and there are programs out there that would benefit by doing both. I don't think a showstyle band going to (strickly) corpstyle would work ie. lets say Katy's director comming to Willowridge (yes Willowridge!).

Kaleb you want to check out a school that used to be set up like what you talking about look up tha IKE vs. WIllowridge battle on youtube. Ike is a corpstyle school (I guess) and are regulars at the Rodeo (but if ya'll go they won't sound like this no more!)

By the way Goldy Have you seen Sharpstown lately LOL!

Goldy_1914 said:
    Who the hell is Sollopadnab?? lol

oldwise2 said:
    It could work. I agree with everyone. But if you are dealing with one of those brainwashed cats then forget it. On the other hand by and large the showstyle programs are getting better every year in Houston. Ask your director to do some major local parades (ie. Rodeo, Thanksgiving) where your members can actually see the pros and cons (cause they will be there!) Its amazing how the parade scene here has changed over the years because it has basically been taken over by showbands. There was a time when If you were not Spring, Westfield, Ike, Waltrip, Sollopadnab, Scarborough (in that order circa '94 5 ish) and you were corpstyle you could hang it up. They would come to parades looking like straight trash and sounding like garbage...used to laguh at them...The last four of those aformentioned schools used to be in parades all the time. Be careful though! There is one program presently that is on the ropes because the admin and district are vehemently opposed to showstyle to the point that they might not have bands in a few years....
    my high school band wants to add the show style technique to its already corps style program. Band director refuses so the members are forming a peti…
This reply was deleted.