BTW vs. Yates Game 8-27-11 - ?

Attended the season opener for Yates and BTW last week. Both schools need their asses whooped up and down 290.

Overall, Yates won. Need to work on sound. It's okay to play the shit on the radio on field, but don't forget about those classic songs like Neck, Fired Up, I'm So Glad, Moments, or even a Earth Wind & Fire song to keep the crowd goin in the stands. Yates has an older audience, need something for everybody. Majorettes - I commend Yates for making history with the first hispanic majorette captain, but those girls need some serious work. How many times can you drop a baton in a short routine??

BTW has always had a good field presence. I don't what the hell was going on last week. No uniforms and the quiet dismissal of the band director from the last 2 years - somethin is wrong. Go back to the drawing board on a routine. One thing about the old guy Pop B, he may have been stuck in the old school, but at least they looked good on the field and in the stands.

How are the 2 oldest black schools in the city of Houston not gonna represent? Black folkz could got to BTW or JY when we couldn't go across town. They were the prototype for all black schools that came along after them.

Go back and look @ the history of these schools and think before you put bullshit on a field.

Turner

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You have to look at it from all sides Mr. Turner.  Yates doesnt have a feeder program.  Without incoming 9th graders, you wont get but 20 or 25 kids in the band period.  As a spectator and a supporter of bands, people like you are needed to push for the middle school feeder program.  I know Mr. Williams is working like a slave over there getting kids ready but he needs support and more people pushing for the middle schools.  Otherwise the band will continue to be a revolving 25 member door.

Anyway, Yates did a pretty good job given the numbers.  I commend the students for putting on that JY uniform and not giving a damn about people teasing you for being small.  IT shows that you guys have guts and character.

And Booker T. Washington is a whole other story.  Besides not having a feeder, the recent band students just plain out refuse to play.  That was their Alumni Band who performed.  Regardless of who the band director is or how cool he is with the kids, the students need to understand WHO they represent.  Its not about the director or your buddy but about the community.  and yes Mr. Turner these schools are historic and it kinda broke my heart to see our bands on life support but instead of complaining and attacking them, Im asking you to commit to helping both programs. 

Are you available to go in and assist with a beginning band class?

Are you willing to make a donation (even if its some vavle oil or drumsticks) to the band program?

Are you even willing to drop off a few cases of water for the students?

Would you be willing to start a committee to assist the directors in reviving and renewing either programs?

Im not trying to blast you or nothing Mr. Turner but I feel strongly about people bashing programs especially when they are struggling. 

• VERY WELL SAID GOLDY....VERY WELL SAID......

* STANDS UP AND CLAPS*

I saw this and was like wow.....but after what you said... I dont even want to say anything because you have already.. said enuff for both schools.... PROPS TO YOU OLD SCHOOL QUAKE.

• Well stated!
    • Thank you, well put and well said.................
  •  

Once again, the dead horse of feeder schools has arisen.

@Goldy - thanks for the clarity regarding BTW's band. I commend the alumni for having the spirit to try and keep some form of the band alive. BTW usually gives a halfway decent show. 

Yates - they are tryin this year. But I'm gonna state this again. In regards to Yates, the band did not just get this way in the last 5-10 years like some other schools. Stop the excuse on the feeder schools. The band's lack of performance and sound of shit have been around since this director hit the door back in th 90's.  Back in the 90's, Cullen and Ryan had band programs. Half of the old cats came from those schools and had playing skills. The director needs some schooling or a strong musically inclined assistant to teach the importance of harmony and clarity in sound. Yates has several alumnus, some who u know, who have the music training to go back and help the band program, but have decided to choose other paths or down right turn their back on the school and program. It would have been a good fit, if one of them would have had the balls to come back in the last 10 years, but some are interested in creating their own "legacy".  I'm not sure if this director has ever contacted the old director Ms. Chappel or Ms. T to ask about old techniques to get a band goin with limited resources and beginner players.

My homeboy stated they have a bullshit band alumni association that don't do a damn thing because they want to see the director gone. They are tired of going to games and shaking their heads.

Point blank - Yates band is a dead legacy. All they are is a name from the past.

Time to move on.

Turner

• SO WHO DO YOU THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE AS A BAND DIRECTOR?????....
      • @ Al, Damion Turner should be the " Band Director "
        • ROTFL.& LMAO!!!!!!!!!!.....NOW THATS FUNNY!!!!!!.. I can see rigth now this season is gonna be crazy...... Thanks MR.Bundy for the morrning laugh.
    • Ms. Chappelle was my band director in the 90's over at Wheatley. She constantly told us (and I wasnt there THAT long) that it was up to US to keep the bands going.

Every school has its own set of problems. Over here I am scared to even go back to that campus because they have an arrest fetish and really don't want alumni around (unless its for athletics).

Yates has never been that band to me. They had a nice sound, put on a very entertaining show and that was it for me. The band/auxiliary ratio was never right. But the BTW vs Yates games were memorable (and was usually held at the dome and advertised on the radio)

Every school that I mentioned has its own set of problems

Wheatley....No feeder (only drummers from McReynolds I think but I could be wrong) Open zoning, charters, No constant director

Yates....No Feeder,open Zoning, charters, admin

BTW...No Feeder, Open Zoning, NO Constant DIRECTOR...

Furr (arrest fetish)...Open zoning, admin, No feeder (until last year) Transportation

Come to think of it they all have the same problems...

You cannot have big bands without feeder programs...Ask Westside how many feeders they have...

• Well sir, I am an alumni of Yates and help Mr. Williams with the band and I'm doing it without pay and on my own time because I love the band and love the kids.......As much has been said, the problem IS the the feeder schools and not enough alumni and parents' support. I'm tired of some, not all, of the alumni criticizing these kids who work very hard to perform. We need help with plenty of things, such as instruments, raising money for new uniforms, water and refreshment for the kids at practice and games, among other things. They have competed and place in UIL competition last year and one of our drummers who was a sophomore place very high in the UIL State drum competition (1st Yates student to compete in UIL competition in over 25 years)

I ask this question........"Which one of you guys are willing to help and support us.....?

This reply was deleted.