Drum Majors

WHY IN THE WORLD DO THESE HIGH SCHOOL BANDS HAVE DRUM MAJORS AND ROGHT AFTER THE DRUM MARJOR MARCH ON THE FIELD THEY PICK UP AN DRUM OR SOMETHING AND START PLAYING...COME ON NOW IF YOUR BAND IS NOT CAPABLE ENOUGH TO HAVE A "DRUM MAJOR" THEN DONT HAVE ONE BECAUSE IT LOOKS VERY TACKY

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you have to have your DM playing at a marching performance, something's not right in the section they came from. Be a Drum Major and LEAD the band!!!

However, I do encourage DM's to play their horn with the band at practice and certainly in class. Gotta keep the chops up for all the non-marching stuff, as well as auditions...
  • I like to play my horn during football season, who am i leading if the band isnt moving?
    the director can conduct, i conduct if he or the assistant isnt present.
    but on the field, the band needs direction, thats why im there.
    and i did start off on the horn, and im going to college on the horn, not as drummajor.
  • See this is why crabs and uppercrabs dont need to have bandhead accounts lol jk but ebone u have to remember just becuz we (ozen) dont do something a certain way doesn't mean it is wrong. Our way of doing things IS NOT the "set in stone" way of doings things for all bands to follow. I believe the only reason you think it is "tacky" is because you are not accustomed to seeing drum majors on their horns (not trying to say our drum majors are bad musicians). We've actually had a drum major play a solo on the field during our UIL/corp style time of the year at one point in time (2007-2008 in case you think im making this up), so it that tacky? And i dont think your statement about a band being "capable" enough to have drum major is a valid point. Who has the power to declare which bands are and aren't capable of having a drum major. What exactly makes a band incapable of having a drum major? Lack of volume, tone quality, numbers,etc? If lack of numbers meant you weren't capable of having a drum major then i guess we wouldn't been able to have drum majors until the MLK battle. The main thing im trying to say is get out of the "ozen way or the highway" mentality of thinking. There is no right and wrong way of doing things when it comes to band, there is only the "what will benefit our band the most" way.
    • Ur reply lenthy dude....

Anthony Linley said:
      See this is why crabs and uppercrabs dont need to have bandhead accounts lol jk but ebone u have to remember just becuz we (ozen) dont do something a certain way doesn't mean it is wrong. Our way of doing things IS NOT the "set in stone" way of doings things for all bands to follow. I believe the only reason you think it is "tacky" is because you are not accustomed to seeing drum majors on their horns (not trying to say our drum majors are bad musicians). We've actually had a drum major play a solo on the field during our UIL/corp style time of the year at one point in time (2007-2008 in case you think im making this up), so it that tacky? And i dont think your statement about a band being "capable" enough to have drum major is a valid point. Who has the power to declare which bands are and aren't capable of having a drum major. What exactly makes a band incapable of having a drum major? Lack of volume, tone quality, numbers,etc? If lack of numbers meant you weren't capable of having a drum major then i guess we wouldn't been able to have drum majors until the MLK battle. The main thing im trying to say is get out of the "ozen way or the highway" mentality of thinking. There is no right and wrong way of doing things when it comes to band, there is only the "what will benefit our band the most" way.
  • my bad lol its just i try to explain these things to our (ozen) freshman and sophmores so they wont have a biased opinion about certain aspects of band

BigDawgBatonRouge said:
    Ur reply lenthy dude....

Anthony Linley said:
    See this is why crabs and uppercrabs dont need to have bandhead accounts lol jk but ebone u have to remember just becuz we (ozen) dont do something a certain way doesn't mean it is wrong. Our way of doing things IS NOT the "set in stone" way of doings things for all bands to follow. I believe the only reason you think it is "tacky" is because you are not accustomed to seeing drum majors on their horns (not trying to say our drum majors are bad musicians). We've actually had a drum major play a solo on the field during our UIL/corp style time of the year at one point in time (2007-2008 in case you think im making this up), so it that tacky? And i dont think your statement about a band being "capable" enough to have drum major is a valid point. Who has the power to declare which bands are and aren't capable of having a drum major. What exactly makes a band incapable of having a drum major? Lack of volume, tone quality, numbers,etc? If lack of numbers meant you weren't capable of having a drum major then i guess we wouldn't been able to have drum majors until the MLK battle. The main thing im trying to say is get out of the "ozen way or the highway" mentality of thinking. There is no right and wrong way of doing things when it comes to band, there is only the "what will benefit our band the most" way.
    Drum Majors
    WHY IN THE WORLD DO THESE HIGH SCHOOL BANDS HAVE DRUM MAJORS AND ROGHT AFTER THE DRUM MARJOR MARCH ON THE FIELD THEY PICK UP AN DRUM OR SOMETHING AND…
  • He is right. It's not wrong. We are just not use to seeing it. My chain of command would be as followed. BD, Ass. BD, Staff (which is also DMs), Band Captan, Section Leader, BM. In life once you are put in a certain position of authority you strive to move foward never back. With that said I can understand the desire to crank on someone LOL. As I said before it's not wrong but maybe just frowned upon. Just My Opinion.

Anthony Linley said:
    Drum Majors
    WHY IN THE WORLD DO THESE HIGH SCHOOL BANDS HAVE DRUM MAJORS AND ROGHT AFTER THE DRUM MARJOR MARCH ON THE FIELD THEY PICK UP AN DRUM OR SOMETHING AND…
  • I THINK ITS TACKY AS HELL FOR A DM TO PLAY IN THE STANDS AND ON THE FIELD. I THINK THEY SHOULD PLAY IN PRACTICE JUS TO STAY ACCURATE FOR CONCERT, BUT THE DRUM MAJOR SHOULD BE IN FRONT OF THE BAND AT ALL TIMES.
  • yea that looks real bad on the field. Ive seen plenty of houston bands do that. They do the drum major intro and then go pick up a tuba or something. smh
  • yea its just from our point of view we dnt have a problem with him playin in the STANDS, becuz in actuality there isnt really a need for a drum major in the stands just to simply be a metronome for the most part. but on the field the only instrument he should have is a whistle Lol, but to each his own
  • lol a whistle and baton. but yea
This reply was deleted.