video_icon.png Champion Family Looks to Sue FAMU 7-10 6pm

video_icon.png LIVE: Parents of Robert Champion Expected to File Suit Against FAMU 7-10 Noon

Tallahassee, FL, November 8, 2012 - Florida A&M University is offering to pay $300,000 to the family of a drum major who died last year after he was beaten during a hazing ritual.

The university made the offer this week following an unsuccessful mediation session between university attorneys and attorneys representing Robert Champion's family. The family has sued the university.

The amount represents the maximum amount FAMU can pay without seeking the Florida Legislature's approval.

Larry Robinson, FAMU's interim president, would not comment directly on the offer. Robinson would only say the university legal team is trying to resolve the litigation.

Champion died after he was beaten by fellow members of The Marching 100 during a hazing ritual in Orlando. An attorney for Champion's family and a spokesman didn't immediately return calls for comment.

Tallahassee, FL, July 10, 2012 - The parents of the Marching 100 drum major killed in a hazing ritual are moving forward with suing FAMU for their son's death. The move was expected any day now, and Robert Champion's family's attorney says that day is tomorrow, Wednesday July, 11.

Robert Champion's parents and their attorney will address media outside the Orange County Courthouse in downtown Orlando tomorrow, June 11.

Community members say a lawsuit still may not bring closure when dealing with a loss of a child, but, hopefully it can mean healing.

The head of the Tallahassee NAACP, Dale Landry, says a lesson can be learned from the hazing death of Marching 100 Drum Major Robert Champion.

Indeed, it looks like it could cost FAMU...The Champion family attorney says Champion's parents are suing the university.

Champion died after a hazing ritual on November 19th in Orlando. As we reported earlier, FAMU's dean of students said he and the former police chief discussed the band should've been suspended three days before the incident.

Says Landry: "As a graduate of FAMU also, I also grieve for the loss of Champion.  Out of these dark hours, as they say, there has to be something that's going to come in the morning for everybody involved."

In February, the Champions filed suit against 'Fabulous Coach Lines'. The hazing ritual was performed on one of the company's buses after the Florida Classic Football Game.

The Champions said they would sue the school as well.

In the opinion of Tallahassee resident, Patricia Williams: "I think that's a very good thing. I think they should've already done that because it's too much of that hazing stuff that's still going on.  I think they're doing the right thing and I hope they get a good outcome from it. Let's just hope that we can find healing and some form of peace can come to that family and our family at FAMU."

Florida law says the Champions had to wait six months before filing a lawsuit. WCTV will stay with the story as they make that official step.

Tallahassee, FL, July 10, 2012 - There's a new twist in the beating death of a Florida A&M University drum major. The parents of Robert Champion are expected to file a lawsuit against FAMU.

Robert and Pamela Champion announced months ago they planned to sue the school, but Florida law required them to delay action for at least six months because FAMU is a state institution.

Fellow band members pummeled Champion to death on a parked charter bus after the annual football game with Bethune-Cookman last November. It was part of a hazing ritual. Eleven of the band members have been charged with felony hazing in connection with Champion's death.

Last week, FAMU released records showing the school's dean of students recommended the band be suspended long-term due to hazing concerns three days before Champion's death. FAMU's former police chief also says he urged top administrators at a meeting on the same day as the dean's remarks to keep the band off the field. FAMU President Doctor James Ammons says he didn't learn about those recommendations until after Champion's death.

Champion's parents haved already filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the bus company and the driver of the bus where their son was beaten.

That suit was filed in February.

A family spokesman says the couple is traveling from Georgia to Orlando today to file a new suit against FAMU.

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Champion Family Rejects $300,000 Settlement Offer from FAMU

Tallahassee, FL -- $300,000. That's the price tag FAMU put out there to try and end the hazing lawsuit filed by Rober Champion's family.

A statement from FAMU attorney Rick Mitchell read “FAMU has offered the Champions the absolute maximum amount allowable by law.  Anything more would require a special act approved by the state legislature.  It is our hope that this settlement will be accepted and can in some way help in the healing process for the Champion family and the entire FAMU community."

CNN reports that the Champion's attorney, Chris Chestnut, said the offer was an insult and the family would not consider it.

Students on FAMU's campus were split on the offer.

"If they're able to come up with some type of change to give the family respect for their son's loss, then I think that is very sufficient," said FAMU senior Taeja Smith.

"I mean I don't really know what would be a good number. If they were offered a million, some say that would be too high, some might say it's not enough, but somebody is still dead at the end of the day," added graduate student Ade Oladokun.

For now, the Champions quest for closure continues.

• Urgh! This is a very complex matter, as the death of a college student at our HBCU's is a very sensitive topic.

Here's a few of my thoughts:

I really dont know WHAT it would take for the Champion family to feel like an offer/settlement would equalize things. I doubt if theres any money or apologies in the world that would make them happy. I understand what they are going through, but most families would be completely STRICKEN WITH GRIEF during this process of having to complete SUBMERGE yourself in matter dealing with a child's death. With the Champion family constantly prolonging the process, it always makes me wonder what their BOTTOM LINE is, and what are their REAL intentions.

It is commendable for FAMU to offer up the maximum amount allow before special permission is given, and I know they have also apologized profusely.

So my guess is that, somewhere down the line, there is a BIG communication problem.

I dont understand what is so hard about FAMU asking what it is the Champion family wants, and then the Champion family tell them, and then FAMU try their best to make it happen, as long as it is feasable and allowable by law.

FYI: Sounds like the Champion family is seeking REVENGE instead of CLOSURE, And those 2 things are very very different.

I am not blaming the Champion family for anything, but going on a year later, I am just wondering what they are REALLY after. Is it money? Is it jail time for the killers? Is it more apologies? Is it ALL 3?  I mean, a year later and they are still dragging it out...WHAT IS IT??

Again, I completely sympathize with the Champion family, and pray for their healing.

I, honestly, think they need a new attorney. lol. I been thinking that since I heard him at the first press conference. lol. He might be trying to get STUPID PAID. lol. may be the reason why he is turning down all the offers??? lol. Im jus sayin'.  lol

• Im So Glade Im Not The Only One Who Feel This Way. Last Interview I Saw The Family Wanted To Work With FAMU To End Hazing Know It Just Seems They Want Revenge Or Something.
    jason said:

Urgh! This is a very complex matter, as the death of a college student at our HBCU's is a very sensitive topic.

I really dont know WHAT it would take for the Champion family to feel like an offer/settlement would equalize things. I doubt if theres any money or apologies in the world that would make them happy. I understand what they are going through, but most families would be completely STRICKEN WITH GRIEF during this process of having to complete SUBMERGE yourself in matter dealing with a child's death. With the Champion family constantly prolonging the process, it always makes me wonder what their BOTTOM LINE is, and what are their REAL intentions.

It is commendable for FAMU to offer up the maximum amount allow before special permission is given, and I know they have also apologized profusely.

So my guess is that, somewhere down the line, there is a BIG communication problem.

I dont understand what is so hard about FAMU asking what it is the Champion family wants, and then the Champion family tell them, and then FAMU try their best to make it happen, as long as it is feasable and allowable by law.

FYI: Sounds like the Champion family is seeking REVENGE instead of CLOSURE, And those 2 things are very very different.

I am not blaming the Champion family for anything, but going on a year later, I am just wondering what they are REALLY after. Is it money? Is it jail time for the killers? Is it more apologies? Is it ALL 3?  I mean, a year later and they are still dragging it out...WHAT IS IT??

Again, I completely sympathize with the Champion family, and pray for their healing.

I, honestly, think they need a new attorney. lol. I been thinking that since I heard him at the first press conference. lol. He might be trying to get STUPID PAID. lol. may be the reason why he is turning down all the offers??? lol. Im jus sayin'.  lol

On 11/08/2012 FAMU Offers $300,000 to End Hazing Lawsuit. On 11/9/2012 Champion Family Rejects $300…
    Champion Family Looks to Sue FAMU 7-10 6pm LIVE: Parents of Robert Champion Expected to File Suit Against FAMU 7-10 Noon Tallahassee, FL, Novemb…
  • I called this from the beginning. The University should have thrown everyone involved under the bus - no pun intended - the next day. Then told the family we're sorry for your loss blah blah blah, we'll pay half of your funeral expenses... Take it or leave it and called it a day. What did that idiot Amons do? Went around pandering to every freaking body. And everyone ended losing their jobs and a great program is now gone.

The family is over the death. Now they're in full broke-hoe mode going after the University and bus company. Anything over $300k the Republican super-majority, Legislature has to approve LMAO! It’s not happening... And they're wasting their time and money trying to get the bus company's insurer to fork over a dime. Those companies are pros at not paying. The cheap attorney's the family hired are no match and they have no connections. The family better take the $300, pay the hoodwink lawyers their $299 and enjoy that $1,000. The family isn’t going to get rich off of this.

• I definitely feel what you are saying but this:

http://www.phideltatheta.org/content/view/124/9/

and definitely this 12.6 Million http://www.stfblaw.com/category/meredith-article/

may have something to do with why their lawyer/them are not settling for 300K.  Precedence is B!TCH!

jason said:

Urgh! This is a very complex matter, as the death of a college student at our HBCU's is a very sensitive topic.

• THATS NEW YORK. WE TALKING ABOUT FLORIDA. FLORIDA WILL TALK SOME MONEY BUT THEY NOT GIVING UP ANYTHING. They Family should just take the 300,000
     Devon said:

I definitely feel what you are saying but this:

and definitely this 12.6 Million http://www.stfblaw.com/category/meredith-article/

may have something to do with why their lawyer/them are not settling for 300K.  Precedence is B!TCH!

jason said:

On 11/08/2012 FAMU Offers $300,000 to End Hazing Lawsuit. On 11/9/2012 Champion Family Rejects $300…
    Champion Family Looks to Sue FAMU 7-10 6pm LIVE: Parents of Robert Champion Expected to File Su
  • The second one is University of Miami (http://www.stfblaw.com/category/meredith-article/)

BRAD TV ENT. NEWS said:

THATS NEW YORK. WE TALKING ABOUT FLORIDA. FLORIDA WILL TALK SOME MONEY BUT THEY NOT GIVING UP ANYTHING. They Family should just take the 300,000
     Devon said:

I definitely feel what you are saying but this:

jason said:

• Here's the money part of that article:

Chad’s parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Montgomery and May and after a one week trial the Miami jury returned a $14 million verdict; $7 million to each parent for the pain and suffering of losing their son. It remains the largest hazing verdict in the country and sent a loud message to everyone that juries do not have any sympathy for those who haze.

• Look at the demographic, economic and political side. It's not happening.
  • Some of you just talk to see black and white on the screen and for amusement. If you had a child that got killed by the hands of his or her bandmates you wouldn't only want $300,000. That is a slap in the face, hell some that got hazed and that are alive got more than $300,000. Some of you, i can't even finish it. smh

This reply was deleted.