From 300 Members To 50 Members

6652252071?profile=originalBack in the Late 90s Greenville High School Solid Gold Marching Band of Greenville, Mississippi Became A Force To Be Reckon With. Ray Brooks took over the program in 1997. Under his direction the program bloom to over 150 students and the direction of the band change from corps to traditional style. As the the year 2000 enter the band continued to be on the best in Mississippi and Mid-South. In 2000, there was talk about combining Greenville High School with another local high T.L. Weston High School.. Well as Fall 2000 approach the school was combine, that also means both bands were as well. Many members quit the band, because they hated the idea of it.. Well in 2000, there were over 300 members in the band. The band maintain a consist size of 250 - 275. As the economy struggle, so did the Greenville Public School District. So they cut the size of the band budget. As 2005 came the band has over 175 plus members..  In 2007 it had around 150, Then in 2009 around 125,  More financial cuts were made to the program. Then in 2010 around 100 members and NOW the band has a little more than 45 members...

6652251875?profile=original

Once on the most infamous band in Mississippi stood at 300 members now have a little more than 45... The band is still under the direction of the Ray Brooks. He has complained to the the school board about the current state of the band. He once had all band students enrolled in his classes year round and now he does not, because the school will not allow it. The school now forces him to cut practices short, because of state testing. Even though the band members are producing the Honor students and Vals and Sals... Also to add Greenville Weston High School has had more than 8 different Supervising Principals (Not including the Asst Principals) since its merger in 2001.. and Greenville Public School has had 4 different Superintendent's since the merger in 2001...

Your input is needed.. Please and thank you...

I Had To Give You Some History So That You Can Fully Understand It!

You need to be a member of bandhead.org to add comments!

Join bandhead.org

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Votes: 0

Replies

• anytime something in school gets cut, in reference to the budget, the music program is always FIRST, even though it usually boast more members than any other organization/sport in the school...so sad...2's..
  • Right this is really sad to hear. Its happening everywhere. Not just Mississippi, or black schools either. Music programs are for some reason the first to go. I am not sure what their positive thinking about the situation would be but I feel that Music programs keep kids into young adults focused, motivated, then when they get to college a way to earn scholarships. Second Marching programs keep kids in shape which is something that is being cut from programs also. Third I know ppl say Band kids are Nerds but hey we are the ones with good grades so why cut the program that helps the school program. #nationwide we need to stand up.

JOIN VH1 "Save the Music"

• They still have managed to send all there seniors to college every with at least full or partial scholarship and most of them receive an academic scholarship as well...

They have sent students to Jackson State University, Alcorn State University, Mississippi Valley State University, Depauw University, Washington University, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff  Florida State University, University of Central Arkansas, University of Arkansas at Montecillo, Mississippi State University, Boise State University, and much more...

I am the alumni of GWHS and I attend UCA...

• No mention of one parent becoming upset... I'm sure someone besides the BD is fed up after a decade of getting royally screwed by the board. 8 principles and 4 Supers lol, a joke! Who keeps voting idiots to the board???

• The City Council votes on the new board members anytime a seat comes open... The parents are upset as well.. The Band Parent Association consist of current parents of band members and parents of former band members....
    • That's what I am saying.

• God forbib a lackluster basketball or football team gets cut...the town would have a witch hunt for whoever is responsible...but an award winning band...it would be like it never even existed...smh

• Yeah, they'll bend over backwards to save the local football and basketball team.
    • Well I know the reason for that...

Many folks see football & basketball as their only ticket to College or any type of future. HS coaches feed freshman students a bunch of BS every year. You may see one of those "coming out the hood via the NFL/NBA" stories every blue moon.

• It is very sad what's happening to Greenville Weston High School they have definitely been infamous over the years as a great band. During my days at Alcorn in the SOD we had a nice percentage of Greenville band students. Like everyone sad it's happening everywhere but I know for a fact through my friends in Greenville the school district is terrible. Seeing once mighty band programs diminish because of budget cuts is disheartening to me. If it wasn't for my love of band & music I would have probably never went to college, band gave me a identity. This is a major problem that I only see getting worse with school cutting budgets.
This reply was deleted.